Tool Maker Need to for Hampton Roads, VA--Relocation assistance available
Are you a repair person at heart who enjoys problem solving and working on equipment? This position performs machine shop work for the repair and maintenance of dies, molds, and related equipment.
This role involves performing machine shop work for the repair and maintenance of dies, molds, and related equipment. Our Mold & Metal Products group could be considered a ‘job shop’ (build to order), meaning only about 2% of our projects are affiliated with our company and many others involve tooling for outside customers in the plastic injection, automotive, gas turbine and medical industries. All work takes place in a climate-controlled environment, and this is new tool build projects, working with wax dies assembly.
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma or GED, and 5-8 years experience with molds / wax die assembly works. Two year technical or trade school degree preferred.
- General knowledge of molds including: how to assemble and disassemble components of a molds, wiring of a hot runner system and polishing techniques.
- Must be able to complete forms and checklists and read and understand work standards, blueprints, and technical drawings.
- Knowledge of progressive tool & die making procedures and ability to work within close tolerances, desired.
- Ability to fabricate tools and dies, desired.
- Advanced mathematical skills (i.e., algebra, trigonometry).
- May have to work overtime and may be assigned to other shifts based on company needs.
-Disassembles, inspects cleans, repairs, and reassembles tools and dies according to established procedures and utilizing one or more of the following: hand tools, pneumatic tools, grinders, lathes, mills, EDM’s, calipers, veneers, and metric rulers.
- Diagnoses die problems by reading and inspecting blueprints and discussing the problems with Metal Stamping, Quality Assurance or Molding personnel.
- Provides instruction and guidance to Tool & Die Maker A’s and assists in their training (internal or state approved apprenticeship).
- Operates and setups various types of machining equipment.
- May program EDM machines using ladder logic/PLCs in order to fabricate tools and equipment.
- May program CNC Milling machines using various software applications
- Assembles, inspects cleans, repairs, and reassembles tools and dies according to established procedures and utilizing one or more of the following: hand tools, pneumatic tools, grinders, lathes, mills, EDM’s, calipers, veneers, and metric rulers. Ensures that the tools and dies meet established written and verbal specifications.
- Polishes steel mold blocks according to prints in order to establish dimensions.
- Diagnoses die problems by reading and inspecting blueprints and discussing the problems with Supervisor, Manager or other Tool Makers.
- Utilizes computer viewer to obtain mold dimensions and specifications.
- Sets up and operates metal removing machines to fabricate components of tools and / or dies to specified tolerances.