Product Design Engineer
Full Time Regular
Nashville, TN, US
The Product Design Engineer is responsible as assigned for matters related to product design and development. This includes research and development, design, improvement, problem solving and failure analysis, testing, internal correspondence and documentation, supplier interface and communication during development, project management, budgeting and cost tracking
• Technical design knowledge and manufacturing methods.
• Familiar with Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, and Root Cause Analysis concepts.
• Geometric tolerancing (ANSI Y14.5) and advanced drafting skills
• Mathematical skills. Background in FEM analysis preferred.
• Computer skills (PC and CAD). NX experience preferred.
• Knowledge of common manufacturing, machining, finishing, and assembly methods/processes.
• Knowledge of the most commonly used materials and related heat treatments in the field.
• Excellent leadership and cross functional interaction skills.
• Excellent organizational, presentation, and customer service skills.
• Knowledge, understanding, and commitment to quality of product and ISO processes.
• Ability to self-manage and prioritize in a demanding environment in support of both developmental and production activities that are critical to business success.
EDUCATION / QUALIFICATIONS:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering
• Minimum 3-5 years mechanical experience required.
• CAD experience in two-dimensional drafting and 3D solid design (NX experience preferred)
• Project management experience in a cross-functional environment
• The Design Engineer is responsible for all matters, related to the product design, including research and development, design, and testing.
• Manage product development programs/projects and ensure that cost, quality and schedule are established and maintained.
• Develop test plans, conduct product testing, and create detailed test reports.
• Work with Product Marketing, write technical product procedures, and specifications.
• Design new products and components.
• Investigate and introduce product improvements
• Generate CAD product drawing (two-dimensional drafting and three-dimensional solid designs).
• Using sound engineering methods to determine the correct functioning of mechanisms and working stress of components.
• Perform and coordinate Engineering Change Notices across inter-departmental functions.
• Forecast, propose and assess new technologies and materials
• Support Innovation through patents, trademarks, design and authorship’s rights. Manage and apply for intellectual property protection as appropriate according to US, European and international laws and regulations.
• Development of virtual prototyping capabilities, modeling methods, innovative materials and technologies.
• Support strategic project and product planning efforts.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Assist with other projects as requested.
• Assist the Industrial Engineers, Manufacturing Engineers, Quality Engineers, Production Personnel, and Sales/Marketing team members with product-related projects, questions and problems.
• Assist external vendors with product-related projects, questions, and problems.
• Develop and integrate best practices within the group and provide suggestions for overall efficiency improvement
• Perform other duties as assigned.